The Chicago Marathon is just around the corner — do you have what you’ll need to recover after the big event?
For context, the Chicago Marathon is a huge annual event set to take place on October 9 this year. It’s one of the six World Marathon Majors, a World Athletics Label Road Race, and the fourth-largest race globally based on the number of finishers.
The Chicago Marathon host Bank of America anticipates that 40,000 individuals will participate in 2022 alone.
Needless to say, it’s a pretty big deal. Serious marathon runners spend months preparing for races like this. Even casual goers will spend a few weeks hitting the treadmill or going for runs around the neighborhood to prepare. An 18-week training and nutrition program is available specifically for this big race!
Now, assuming that you’ve been training for the marathon this whole time, what’s your recovery plan? After all, there’s no way you can run a marathon and not be sore later.
Using CBD to Recover From the Chicago Marathon
Topical CBD products are a great way to get targeted pain relief after an intense workout. Simply apply the cream to your joints or muscles, then sit back and relax while you wait for relief to kick in.
Some topical CBD products are also infused with menthol, like Millie’s CBD Relief Gel. This combination of menthol and CBD allows for dual relief through menthol’s cooling, analgesic properties, and CBD’s anti-inflammatory effects.
The best part is, you can use a CBD topical without experiencing the psychoactive effects associated with cannabis. You won’t get “high” from using CBD topicals, but you will get the relief you seek for your joints and muscles.
How Do I Sign Up For the Chicago Marathon?
The general application for the 2022 Chicago Marathon closed on November 30, 2021. However, that doesn’t mean you still can’t go and spectate the event!
You can also always apply to be in the 2023 Chicago Marathon. The requirements for repeating next year will likely parallel the requirements for competing this year.
Specifically, interested runners must meet and abide by the following guidelines:
- Entry fee: U.S. residents must pay a $230 fee, and non-U.S. residents must pay a $240 fee.
- Age: You must be at least 16 years old by the day of the race. If the participant is between the ages of 16 to 17 years old, they must receive permission from their parent or legal guardian.
- Time & Distance: You must be able to complete a 26.2-mile distance within 6 hours and 30 minutes.
- Transfer of race: Selling or transferring your race entry or bib number is strictly prohibited.
- Non-refundable fees: Any registration fees or ancillary purchases are non-refundable.
- Pick up your packet: All racers must pick up their participant packets from the 2022 Abbott Health & Fitness Expo. You must show your government-issued ID when picking up your packet.
- COVID-19 risk: All participants acknowledge their risk of exposure to COVID-19 during the marathon and acknowledge that it’s out of the Event Organizers’ control.
- Abide by the rules: All participants know the rules and agree to abide by them.
Key Takeaways: Don’t Forget Your CBD For Recovery
The Chicago Marathon is a major event for runners and spectators alike. The 44th annual Chicago Marathon will be hosted by Bank of America and is taking place on October 9, 2022.
Before a marathon, all of the focus is on preparation. Whether you’re following the Chicago Marathon’s official training and nutrition program or have your own plan, runners spend weeks (if not months) preparing for races like this.
But do you have a recovery plan in mind after the race? If not, we highly recommend purchasing some menthol-infused CBD topicals to ease your sore joints and muscles after the marathon.
To learn more about cannabis and athleticism, listen to the Cannabis & Athletic Performance episode of the Cannabis Science Today podcast. In this episode, host Emily Fata interviews exercise physiologist Dr. Jonny Lisano to discuss how cannabis affects exercise.
- Bank of America. (n.d.). The Chicago Marathon. Chicago Marathon. https://www.chicagomarathon.com/
- Bank of America. (n.d.). 2022 FAQS | The Chicago Marathon. Chicago Marathon. https://www.chicagomarathon.com/apply/frequently-asked-application-questions/
- Bank of America. (n.d.). Training & Nutrition | The Chicago Marathon. Chicago Marathon. https://www.chicagomarathon.com/runners/training-program/
- Bank of America. (n.d.). Apply | The Chicago Marathon. Chicago Marathon. https://www.chicagomarathon.com/apply/
- Bank of America. (n.d.). Spectator Information | The Chicago Marathon. Chicago Marathon. https://www.chicagomarathon.com/spectators/spectator-information/
- Bank of America. (n.d.). Event Rules | The Chicago Marathon. Chicago Marathon. https://www.chicagomarathon.com/runners/rules-safety/event-rules/