Another year, another green wave! To commemorate the legislative achievements made in this cannabis industry this year, we’ve decided to recap and highlight some of the biggest bills of 2022.
Three More States Legalized Adult-Use Cannabis
Following the November 2022 Midterm Election, three more states passed adult-use cannabis laws:
- Maryland: With the passage of HB837, adult-use cannabis possession and homegrow cultivation will go into effect in July 2023.
- Missouri: Amendment 3 just passed in MO, which will allow those 21 years and older to purchase cannabis at dispensaries as early as February 2023.
- Rhode Island: RI passed adult-use cannabis earlier this year. However, the program just launched on December 1, 2022.
Read More: Maps: Is Cannabis Legal In Your State?
Additional Legislative Achievements For Cannabis in 2022
Mississippi Passed Medical Cannabis Reform
Medical Cannabis Patients Can Now Self-Certify in D.C.
Over the summer, Washington, D.C., passed a new law allowing patients over 21 to self-certify for medical cannabis.
Shortly thereafter, Mayor Murial Bowser (D) passed an Emergency Amendment that allows tourists to self-certify for medical cannabis while visiting the nation’s capital.
Key Takeaways: 2022 Was Another Big Year For Cannabis
As the year draws to a close, it’s essential to acknowledge the continued passage of cannabis legislation throughout the nation. To date, more than half of the U.S. has passed cannabis reform to varying degrees.
With 2023 just around the corner, we look forward to the continued support of cannabis reform across the country.
- Malone, D. (2022, November 11). Maryland and Missouri Voters Approve Adult-Use Recreational Cannabis | News & Events | Clark Hill PLC. Clark Hill. https://www.clarkhill.com/news-events/news/maryland-and-missouri-voters-approve-adult-use-recreational-cannabis/
- Marijuana Policy Project. (2022). Summary of Maryland’s HB 837 and SB 833: Cannabis Reform. MPP. https://www.mpp.org/states/maryland/maryland-hb-837-cannabis-reform/
- State of Rhode Island. (2022, November 22). Rhode Island Set to Commence Adult Use Marijuana Sales on December 1 | Governor’s Office, State of Rhode Island. State of Rhode Island | Governor Dan McKee. https://governor.ri.gov/press-releases/rhode-island-set-commence-adult-use-marijuana-sales-december-1
- Battaglia, V. (2022, October 1). Maps: Is Cannabis Legal in Your State? Think About Cannabis. https://www.thinkaboutcannabis.com/legislation/maps-is-cannabis-legal-in-your-state
- The Associated Press. (2022, February 3). Mississippi becomes the 37th state to legalize medical marijuana. NPR.org. https://www.npr.org/2022/02/02/1077784525/mississippi-becomes-the-37th-state-to-legalize-medical-marijuana
- ABRA. (2022, July 6). Medical Cannabis Patient 21+ Self-Certification Guidance. District of Columbia. https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/DCWASH/bulletins/31f47fe
- Zdinjak, N. (2022, October 20). Tourists In D.C. Can Now Legally Buy Weed As Mayor Bowser Signs Legislation Allowing MMJ Self-Certificati. Benzinga. https://www.benzinga.com/markets/cannabis/22/10/29343947/tourists-in-d-c-can-now-legally-buy-weed-as-mayor-bowser-signs-legislation-allowing-mmj-self-cer